Storm Tips & Information
Monday, 29 October 2012 08:30
Local Red Cross shelters will be set up by 3pm today (Monday Oct 29, 2012) at the following locations:
The Dome Arena, 2695 East Henrietta Road, Henrietta, NY 14467
Brighton Presbyterian Church, 1775 East Avenue, Rochester, NY 14610
New York state has launched its Hurricane Sandy Helpline for residents dealing with the effects of the large and potentially dangerous storm.
Residents can call 1-888-769-7243 or 1-518-485-1159 or visit www.nyalert.gov for information about preparing for the hurricane and its impact. It began hitting New York Monday and is expected to cut a path through the state over the next couple of days.
The Village of Churchville urges customers to be prepared for storms at all times.
- Always have working flashlights
- Have a battery operated radio
- Have an extra set of batteries in your home
- Keep your first aid kit well stocked and in a central location
- If you use a generator to supply power during an outage, be sure to only operate it outdoors. Before operating generators, be sure to disconnect from the Village of Churchville’s power system by shutting off the main breaker located in your electric panel box
- Keep a supply of non perishable foods and a supply of water
- If using a charcoal or propane grill in the event that the utilities are out do not use in a confined area
- Always have working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms
- Turn refrigerator to maximum cold and only open the door when necessary during times of possible outages
- NEVER use a gas range to heat your home
- Keep gutters clean and clear
- Keep storm drains near your home clear of debris
- Keep trees and shrubs trimmed of dead wood
- If you have an electrically operated garage door know how to open it manually
- Turn off appliances that were on before the outage. Unplug sensitive appliances such as TVs, VCRs, DVD Players, Computers, Stereos and Microwaves. Leave one light on so you know when the power has been restored
- Never touch down power lines and always assume that any fallen lines are live electric wires. If you see one report it immediately to the Village of Churchville and 911
- Do NOT attempt to drive through flooded roads
- Intersections with traffic lights out should be treated as a four way stop
If a power outage occurs please be patient as our crews work to restore the power. The Village of Churchville’s power relies on National Grid transmission lines. Therefore our power could be out as a result of a National Grid outage.